Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q: Is there an entry fee?
- A: There is no entry fee.
Q: Is talking during the performance allowed?
- A: Yes, talking is allowed and encouraged, as long as it enhances the performance. It will be judged under the Entertainment category, and will be counted as part of your 8-minutes of performance time.
Q: Do we have to sing Barbershop music?
- A: No. All forms of acappella music are welcomed.
Q: May we sing Barbershop music?
- A: Certainly.
Q: How are we judged?
- A: You will be judged on entertainment value, harmonic variety and complexity, rhythmic mastery, stage mastery, and in-tune, quality singing. Judges will include experienced a cappella singers and music professionals.
Q: May we use musical instruments?
- A: Um… it is an a cappella contest. You may use a tuning device in order to start the songs, but any other use of musical instruments will be penalized.
Q: Will there be a sound system?
- A: Yes. You will have the choice of up to 6 individual handheld mics, or a fixed mic (or mics) on a stand. If you are a larger group working from risers, you will have choral mics as well.
Q: Could we win 2 years in a row?
- A: If your group wins the championship on three occasions, the group is retired from contest eligibility.
Q: How many song do we sing and now long should we be on stage?
- A: Contestants will sing two songs. There is an 8 minute maximum performance time limit.